Pho ga style soup meal•
Posted on October 24 2023
Preparation: 2 hours | Cooking : 1h30 | Servings: 8 servings
4 cups (1 liter) large quartered onions (with skins)
1 cup (250 ml) local ginger in pieces about 1 inch (2.5 cm)
4 cups (1 liter) large chunks of fennel
10 crushed garlic cloves (with peel)
2 tbsp. tbsp (30 ml) maple syrup
2 tbsp. tbsp (30 ml) pine nard (optional)
1 whole chicken
16 cups (4 liters) water
Salt to taste
8 servings of ramen style pasta, or fresh homemade pasta
6 cups (1.5 liters) cabbage type greens (bok choy, kale, tatsoi, etc.)
2 cups (500 ml) fresh cilantro
4 chopped green onions
Hot sauce or hot pepper, to taste
Roasted camelina oil Signé Caméline , to taste
Local soy sauce, to taste
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat it to broil . On a plate, arrange the onion quarters, ginger pieces, fennel pieces and garlic. Cook for around fifteen minutes, keeping an eye on it, until the vegetables are well roasted.
- In a large pot, place the roasted vegetables, maple syrup, pineapple, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Add the whole chicken. Cook for about 1 hour or until chicken is cooked.
- Remove the chicken and let it cool for a few moments.
- Meanwhile, strain the broth through a sieve and return it to the saucepan over medium heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning (keeping in mind the addition of soy sauce as a garnish). You should have about 12 cups (3 liters) of broth after cooking, or 1.5 cups (375 ml) per serving of soup meal.
- Bone the chicken.
- Cook the pasta for a few minutes in boiling salted water.
- Assemble the soups: in large bowls, place the cooked pasta at the bottom. Add chicken, then the chosen “cabbage type” greens. Pour about 1.5 cups (375 ml) of hot broth over the top. Garnish with cilantro, green onions, hot sauce, roasted camelina oil and local soy sauce, to taste.
Photo and recipe credit: www.cariboumag.com